Re: Re: Animist numbers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:13:30 +1200

Wulf Corbrett:

>Fair point, let me rephrase it: How many Animists/non-initiates does
>it take to create the new generation of Spirit Talkers (assuming
>having a 'fetch which can be awakened' isn't an everyday occurrance)?
>This is still relevant after my next point...

I'd say about a handful. Most of them will have their heads kicked in by Evil Spirits before they have the opportunity to acquire the social skills to persuade normal people to sleep with them.

> > I don't think there's any such thing as lay Heortling animists
> > in clan life. All clan members would be automatically theists.
> > If one wants to be a spirit-talker, then the standard practice
> > would be to run away from your kin (before initiation) and take
> > up residence as a Spirit-talker's helper.

>But this doesn't fit with Sedrosa, unless the women can change from
>theists to animists after they're finished with family life.

I think you are imposing the RuneQuestims much too strongly here. I do not believe that initiates to the Earth Witch have to be "finished with family life" before they can worship Sedrosa. For a start, only Ty Kora Tek initiates had to be past the age of 50 and there is nothing for Asrelia (save for a exorbitant wealth requirement that's inappropriate for the Earth Witch).

I do think it perfectly plausible for a young women to be disaffected with Orlanthi social life (perhaps her family was wiped out in a clan feud) and start talking to the stones and otherwise worshipping Sedrosa. Thus she would be an animist from the start and this is how most earth witches begin...

--Peter Metcalfe