Chaos: culturally relative? (was Re: Uroxi sense Chaos-tainted/marked ?)

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:20:54 -0000

<snip>

> That's pretty clear. But what about Uz? They eat sentient beings
> gladly, family members (enlo) cheerfully, and other family members
on
> a ritual basis. To everyone else, this may be evil, but, to the Uz,
> it's just a snack. I find it hard to believe that the Uz activities
> reinforce chaos because eating is what Uz do -- it is an absolutely
> natural expression of Darkness.

Uz tend to eat anything but other uz. For an uz to be eaten by another uz is a great shame (according to the redstone cavern writeup in Trollpack). But you yourself just mentioned 'ritual circumstances'

> So the rules for Uz and Heortlings are really different. That
> is cultural relativity (of a sort). Similar, though less dramatic,
> distinctions can be made between human cultures.
>
> Peter Larsen

I get uneasy around that relativism phrase and note that such discussions almost invariably end up being digest level hair-splitting fests...

Jeff