From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:28:03 +0100

> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
>KoDP, they go around being strange and weird to whatever clan is
>in their area and can serve several clans. In the Orlanthi social
>universe, they are loners (but protected by their magics).
>
>>So, it looks like Heortling Animists usually
>>don't have a family Spirit Talker, because Spirit Talkers don't leave
>>decendants (barring Sedrosans before they become Sedrosans...).
>
>I don't think there's any such thing as lay Heortling animists
>in clan life. All clan members would be automatically theists.
>If one wants to be a spirit-talker, then the standard practice
>would be to run away from your kin (before initiation) and take
>up residence as a Spirit-talker's helper.
>
>My impressions anyway...
>
>--Peter Metcalfe

That fits with my view of all (85%) of Orlanthi clans. I've always assumed, though, that some unusual clans may support/adopt a spirit talker. Very, very unusual clans might have a long tradition of mixed theism and animism (but I have not convinced myself yet that this ever happens in Dragon Pass).

For the rest I'd think that Kolati/Sedrosi would take children touched by the spirits (e.g., those they have had to exorcise) who may be distrusted or otherwise no longer suitable for integration into theistic society. The children might be sent willingly or grudgingly. As a consequence Kolati/Sedrosi will often have links to several local clans, but relations will vary from lukewarm to very cold.

Thom