Re: Shielings

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 02:29:27 -0000

> Although my own impression is that it would vary more from bloodline
> to bloodline, than clan to clan, in strictly Heortling society
> anyway.

Depending upon the cottar/carl status of that Bloodline - I believe Brian Thexton did some examples of this for the StormStead project (I borrowed them for the Cyrlings)

> But the thing is, none of these cults exists at the heart of
> Heortling culture, and even though Voriof is one of the Four
> Providers, he's also just the boys' god, superseded in most cases by
> Orlanth the Father. My personal impression is that shepherds are
> similarly "marginalised" (not the exact proper term) in Heortling
> society, and also that the boyish element of the main shepherd cult
> (although Heler will be the shepherd god in some clans) prevents
most
> Heortling shepherding from being a family activity per se : the
> solitary lives of RW shepherds reinforces this impression (for me,
> anyways).

Its not a profitable lifestyle, though a necessary one. I drew on that bit of marginlization in Sheepless Nights for poor old Thorngast Clubfoot, shepherd gone baaaaad.

Shepherds don't get a heck of a lot of respect.

> ... which is most likely where they'll be during the lambing (and
> therefore cheese-making) season : ewes only lactate when they have
> lambs, if specific Nevalan Feats aren't available : this motif is
> mainly why it was speculated that Nevala is a goddess of the stead.

And its possible that such magics could extend the milking period greatly...

Good suggestions all - I'll be incorporating them as needed.

Jeff "Voriof" Kyer