RE: Re: Enemies in a heroquest

From: MCGINNESS, Stephen <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:09:50 +0100

This _is_ an interesting question. It is asking quite fundamental questions about heroquesting (which of course was the thing we'd all been waiting for since RQII, huh)

My personal view is that a HeroQuest should be able to accommodate 'known' elements, such as the ambush mentioned earlier. What I think has to be taken into account is the reason for the HeroQuest.

If it is a simple matter of questing on the Other Side for some minor boon then I think it should be quite difficult to intervene and make it go wrong but if the desired result is something dramatic then there should be greater chances for things to go wrong, such as outsiders hijacking various aspects of the Quest.

Kind of like the difference between simple and extended contests, I guess. A Quest looking for basic blessings on this year's crops shouldn't be something that fails very often (reflecting perhaps the difficulty in screwing around with such a simple quest) but a Quest looking for a magical weapon to fight might be more open to interference.

All IMHO obviously....

:-)

Stephen