Re: Travels of Biturian Varosh question

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:19:34 +1200

Morgan:

>In the rewritten Waha part
>(http://www.glorantha.com/library/bv3.html), there's a new section on
>slavery, with the line
>
>"The Lunar Empire supported slavery. It fit well into their
>philosophical beliefs that all living beings are slaves..."

It's hardly new having appeared back in ye olde Cults of Praxe p109. The cult of freedom also mentioned herein was the inspiration for the Larnsti of Heortland.

>BS. I know the Lunars have slaves, but definitely NOT due to their
>philosophy, which is "We are all one" and very anti-slavery. What's
>this crapola doing on the official Glorantha site?

There's nothing in "We are all Us" that rules out Slavery. Secondly the Lunars teach Cosmic Liberation - until you have been Liberated, you are unfree. So the conclusion that all living beings are slaves follows.

One could say that since Liberation is a good thing and Unfreedom is not, Lunars should not keep Slaves. Many Lunars do think this. But this does not automatically follow and history is replete with examples of regimes that prized liberty and kept slaves. Among them the Athenian Empire, the Roman Republic, the early British Empire and the Antebellum South.

--Peter Metcalfe