Re: Uz mothers

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:53:57 -0700

At 10:40 AM 9/23/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
>> At 09:27 AM 9/23/2002 -0000, sjjh wrote:
>>> The pain of childbirth is generally borne by male Uzko, through use
>>> of Travail magic.
>>
>> I would disagree with this.
>
>Wasn't there a Xiola Umbar spell in "Trollpack" that did precisely this?
>(i.e. caused all the pain of childbirth to be borne by a (willing)
>male?)

Such a feat doesn't mean that it is "generally borne" by the father.
>From my own extensive conversations with midwives I have been told, again
and again, that the pains of labor are an important part of childbirth. In our generally pain-hating culture it is hard to beleive, but the transformative effects of surrendering to that agony are critical to the mother's birth experience. I have come to appreciate this: no pain, no gain. I also want to note that, according to the best studies that I have seen, the socieites wherein men experience the labor pains are thos ein which the men are essentially trying to take some of the credit or virtue of the birth away form the mother. It is less of a compassionate or sympathetic virtue than it appears to be.
YGMV.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>