Re: Married Uz

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 02:24:29 +0300

kmnellist_at_... wrote in response to Andrew:

> << And leaving aside the (IMO very strong) matters of self-interest, "Do
> what the missus tells you" is a *very* strong imperative in uzish
> culture. There are exceptions, of course, but men who chafe at those
> restrictions probably gravitate to fringe cults, like Gadblad and Zorak
> Zoran... and they're probably less likely to get married in the first
> place. >>
>
> Is this cause or effect? Do they gravitate to evil Zorak Zoraniness because
> they don't want to get married, or don't get married because they are Zorak
> Zorani.

Both. : )

If you don't want to get married, it's has the potential in uz society of allowing you to "atomize" away from tradition: you can insulate yourself within the ZZ gang. Not all temples are that insular, IMG, though I'd think it's the most "insular" part of most uz society (except Gadblad, and his worshipers are utter anti-social freaks). ZZ's also a good place for male uz who can't *get* married. A non-married male uz lacks the power and protection his wife (and wife's clan) will give him, especially if his mother is dead and he lacks sisters or brothers, so joining Zorak Zoran (or AA, or XU) is a way to get some backup, though this may depend on the clan, too. All three cults offer different opportunities than the KL "mini-pantheon."

For the second, who'd want to marry a ZZ worshipper? Yuck. Most ZZers (being horrible heretics and fanatics and, every uz knows, a little short in the fertility department, wink wink) make pretty lousy husbands. All that mucking about with fire gives 'em a low myth count for the annual fertility orgies. You know, like all fire gods: "Dats why dey got dem long spears, dey's overcompensating <nudge, nudge>."

***
At least IMO, most of the uz-in-print doesn't give an adequate enough glimpse of how horrific ZZers are
for most uz. These guys are complete, barking mad psychos that violate most major taboos in uz society*: the only reason to keep them around is they hate all non-uz more than they hate most uz. Ugh. And you'd *marry* one? Not my daughter!

Which suggests another good uz plot... the PCs as hired muscle, brought in to break up the Romearg & Juliuz romance between an uz of good clan and prospects and some nasty Zorak Zorani. The horror!

Cheers,

James