Re: theme music

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:02:05 +1000

We run an irc campaign, which means we can share midis and wav sound FX for use in-game. Midi's are way *cheesy*, but since we each have our own pc you can choose to turn your speaker off. Personally, I luv 'em - 'double cheese on my burger please!'

Movie and TV themes rank as the most common type of music we use - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, Lawrence of Arabia, Avengers, 2001, Dune, Fame, Psycho, Gallipoli (JMJ's 'Oxygen'), Chariots of Fire, Fanfare for the Common Man, Exorcist (Tubular Bells), MASH, Apollo 13, Mission Impossible, X-Files, Millennium, Twilight Zone, Billyo The Kid (Knocking On Heaven's Door), Betelgeuse and Dr Who.

Light classics include Night on Bare Mountain, the Desert Song, Nomad Dance (we're in Prax), Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm, and his Jesu. And Wagner of course - Siegfried's Funeral March, Valkerie, the Vorspeil from Parcifal, etc.

Pop themes include stuff like Apache Nomad, Whiter Shade of Pale, People are Strange, and some Beatles, REM, Zeppelin, Nirvana and U2 toons (These are instrumental midis remember, not the originals). Jokey pop tunes are also up there - having just the tune makes the joke a *little* more subtle - Bad Moon Rising, Bad, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Desperado, Losing My Religion.

We also use various folk tunes, mostly from the UK - swirling bagpipes, dainty harps, and thumping drums - Brian Boru's March, lots of O'Carolan, and favourite Lunar marches nicked from Nick or Janes' website. Plus of course, Raise The Tribes For Starbrow (Follow Me Up To Carlow).

Character themes include the Man Who Sold The World (my Lokarnos merchant) , Here Comes the Sun and Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (the 'Domers), Big Girls Don't Cry (guess!) and Whiter Shade of Pale (the humakti).

And last but not least, a collection of midi's nicked from computer games, often with helpful titles like 'Atmospheric', 'Dungeon', and 'Battle'.

Plus the wavs - simple sound FX like animals sounds (lots of zebras, for some reason), battle and magic effects, laughs and screams, winds and rains, and the immortal 'six nipple' joke from Red Dwarf.

All these are readily available on the web. If folk play with a laptop or pc handy, I can easily make my zipped collection available for use in-game. But I must remind you of the cheese. :)

John