Re: Pegasi

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:23:23 +0200

Robert McArthur :

> Me > The way to get a Pegasus is to go with your horse on the 'Hippogriff loses its
>
> > wings, claws, and teeth' HQ ; and make sure it only loses it's claws and teeth.
>
> Hmm, I don't quite see how you can do a heroquest to lose something you
> haven't got.

I admit that it would be tricky ; and I was quite aware of the 'plot holes' when I posted ...

> If you take a horse on it, which
> hasn't (in some way) the ability to *fly* (not just have wings glued on
> it), the ability to *run* and *claw* (precluding stuck on talons since
> it'd be *very* hard to run with them :-), and the ability to take massive
> bites out of things (can't see _how_ you could pretend that one), then the
> horse can't play the part of a Hippogriff even in pretend mode.

I think that my idea is as follows : basically, you glue fake wings etc. on your horse as you suggest, and then you zap into the HQ with your horse 'playing the part' of Hippogriff : negative modifiers all round, but I think that it should be possible.

On the Other Side, use your Carryover bonus to provide your horse with Wings, Teeth, and Claws Skills at 12 each (cost 36 points) for the duration of the Quest, if you need some nitty-gritty technical details here ...

The rest is obvious. Except that it's a pretty difficult Quest, because your horse must succeed where Hippogriff failed ; which means that it will accumulate huge negative carryover : and the climax of the Quest is that ex-Hippogriff submits to Man (and here there will be much bad juju if you've done what you wanted) and Evades Death (which will be the biggest risk, with all that negative carryover).

Haven't done the maths, so I might be wrong ; because you *do* let Hippogriff lose its Teeth and Claws, which gives you positive carryover (if your Horse fails).

> All the HQ I've heard of are when you lose things you already have,

You risk losing your Horse ; and if you're Questing for your entire community, you risk losing *all* of their Horses.

Not just the animals ; but all HW Horse Abilities.

Don't know if that makes sense ;
as I said, not knowledge, but a suggestion ...

Julian Lord