Re: Re: Orlanth and the Moon

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

> > IMG, gods tend to personalize their conflicts or
> so
> > they are perceived by their worshippers.
>
> Hi Gian,

Hi, Simon :-)

> I'm not realy sure what you're after.

Just a comment on my hypothesis: is that completely false, IYO, or just as possible as any other?

> There are no
> myths of
> Orlanth fighting the Red Moon Goddess, so therefore
> anyone
> wanting to use mythic conflict to explain their
> enmity
> must rely on explanation-by-example, alegorical
> interpretation
> and dubious identifications between known Orlanth
> enemies
> and the Red Moon.

But is there a myth of a conflict pre-Red Goddess between Orlanth (or any other Storm God) and "a" Moon?

I could say yes: take for example the EWF, founded by Heortling who, in the end, where slain by Blue Moon killers. This is not confirmed, just a rumor: but if it is real and true, than maybe we can explain why Orlanth opposes Teleeo Estara/Rufelza/Sedenya in so a violent way as to encourage SHE to declare him an outlaw in her Empire.
Because he thinks that she is another vicious Moon Goddess, dark, merciless and _poisoned_ (like the Assassins' daggers). Then his followers, who have forgotten about the truth of the EWF leadership, think that Orlanth opposes her because she is consorted with chaos. But they misinterpret their God: and that's a frequent possibilities for worshippers of every time and every site. Even for Heortling, then.

But unless you negate or confirm the possibility of my hypothesis, I merely talk with myself (that's only partially amusing, I must admit)

Ciao,
Gian

New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo! http://sbc.yahoo.com