The Greeting

From: Dick Kingman <rtkingman_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:24:09 -0400

In various things I have read on Orlanthi, there is frequent mention of them using or making "The Greeting". It seems this allows them to identify and classify people they meet. Strangers apparently can at least be classed as unknown Orlanthi or foreigners (non-Orlanthi).

Has this greeting, or greeting formula, ever been published, official or otherwise? If so, where can I find it? Will it be in Thunder Rebels, I wonder?

In King of Sartar, I was able to find the basics on Orlanthi hospitality, but I didn't find specifics on the greeting. There is a greeting, challenge really, given by Umath in The First Hospitality myth, but this does not seem to fit my notion of The Greeting. I suppose it would work though: "Halt, Stranger! Who comes this way, to a place which is not allowed to everyone? Do you come in friendship, or as a foe?" (I guess it is better than "Hey you! Who the hell are you and what are you doing here?")

The Cults of Prax version of the Orlanth cult had special greetings that high level cult members were supposed to use when meeting certain people, but that means they must already know who or what they are.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick Kingman