Re: Re: False Friends

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

> This brings up my real question: In mythology, did
> Orlanth have any
> friends who didn't agree with his theology?

I suppose yes, if I interpret correctly the question. But my answer is not so linear:

Orlanth's Storm Tribe thing is a sort of Agreement or Society (Ring) based on mutual support given by different individuals, with different personal purposes. Lhankor Mhy, Chalana Arroy, Donandar, Elmal, Issaries are not members of Umath Pantheon, but they become members of Orlanth Pantheon (because Ernalda teaches him how to concile the opposites or, better, how to be more open of mind than Umath was).

So I think that true Orlanthi keep this basic lesson in mind: together we stand and succeed, separated we fall and fail.

But they need an enemy (Yelm, Chaos or merely a Lunar Missionary) to understand who "we" is, and they need a greater purpose to understand who they can trust among the foreigners. This is the weakness of Orlanth's Theology, I think: they need a greater enemy and/or an incoming risk of social disgregation (kinstrife) to stand unite, else they fight among themselves and kill strangers at sight.

Ciao,
Gian

Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More http://faith.yahoo.com