Re: Tax Collecting in Sartar

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:14:59 +0100

Moto Iwasaki:

>> I think King of Sartar had never collected tax. Tax is for the Evil
>> Emperor.
>

>I see. I guess that no one power is allowed to rob of people's wealth.
>All tax have each reason.
>In the case of the clan Regii, tax is amend for guarding by the clan.
>And clans will pay tax for the Kingdom for the same reason. Where did
>the fund for making the King's Road of Sartar, the palace of Boldhome,
>or the forts and the bridges in Sartar come from?
>
>From the tribal tribute payments. These are different from taxes - or at
least from the Empire's concept of taxes - because they are based on traditional arrangements. So the Empire seizing the 'tax records' of the Royal House of Sartar isn't going to do them any good (not that that will necessarily stop them) because they won't have the sort of information the Lunars need, such as production figures, population, etc. They'll have had to gather that sort of information from scratch through censuses and other assessments, which will have been none to popular with the Sartarites.

That's the problem with the Heortlings, you see - no sense of civic duty :-(

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic