Re: lagaan

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:12:31 +1300

At 02:21 PM 10/20/02 +1000, you wrote:
>Actually the documentary drama 'Trobriand Cricket' is even more applicable
>to Glorantha, demonstrating how the Trobrianders have merged clan warfare
>with the rite of the willow wand.

Cricket isn't clan warfare?!?

>Stray not into the outfield, and never bowl a duck...

...and string up the underarm bowlers by their thumbs.

ObGlorantha: one of the few interesting things I find about Cricket (and I agree with most of North America in that it is a dull game) is the way it has such an enduring hold over many diverse cultures, ranging from the English, the Indian subcontinent, South Africa and the antipodes. Even the President of Zimbabwe is a diehard fan* and cricket was one of the few sports that the Taleban permitted. I've even seen a cricketing expression in "Crime and Punishment" although I wonder whether the Translator was drunk at the time.

So I have pipe dreams about a gentlemanly** sport invented by the God Learners that is practiced and played in virtually all parts of their former empire, whether Safelster, Seshenela or Umathela. Despite their historical grievances, the best teams of hostile neighbors regularly play each other. The tricky thing is to formulate a game that's a usable parody of cricket (just as Trollball was a parody of football) and here I'm stumped.

--Peter Metcalfe

*although admittedly that's the fault of the Rhodesian Security Services - in an attempt to drive him insane, they held him in solitary confinement for two years with constant broadcasts of cricket games into his cell day and night. The poor sod is now a hopeless cricket addict which explains in part his current hatred of white farmers.

**although only on the field and sometimes not even then.