Re: Digest Number 1046

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:19:45 +0100

Iwasaki:

>>> they are based on
>>> traditional arrangements. So the Empire seizing the 'tax records' of the
>>> Royal House of Sartar isn't going to do them any good (not that that
>>> will necessarily stop them) because they won't have the sort of
>>> information the Lunars need, such as production figures, population,
>>> etc. They'll have had to gather that sort of information from scratch
>>> through censuses and other assessments, which will have been none to
>>> popular with the Sartarites.
>>

>I agree on Sartar's ruling system is primitive.
>
>However, do Sartar Kingdom keep justice basing on traditional
>arrangements? For a clan, if their tribute that was decided by
>arrangements were too expensive, they will get angry. And, if their
>tribute were too inexpensive, other clans will get angry.
>
>So, arrangements must have been renewed many times.

Inevitably so, yes.

>The price that
>decided by new arrangements reflect the latest state of clans. That is
>not correct, but is nearer to census.

Yes, but probably not good enough for the Lunars' purposes. If, indeed, they trust the Sartarites to have done a good job on the evaluation in the first place - its liable to have involved much speech-making and citing of ancient precedent rather than actually, you know, counting the cattle or whatever. :-)

>By the way, Trotsky, your Loskalmi Calendar is excellent.
>http://www.ttrotsky.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/malkioni/calendar.htm
>
>I also used Latin-Japanese dictionary immediatly.
>I understand that 10th month, "Nex" means "death". However, I picked up
>the word "Nexum" that means "the deadline for payment". In Japan, the last day of the year
>is the deadline for payment for city dwellers since the feudal age (the
>Edo era;1603-1867). Japanese are busy for gathering money in December. So,
>December is called Shiwasu (that mean "masters even run about") in
>Japanese traditional calender.
>Nex is the abbreviations of "Nexum", how about you think that
>construction?

Works for me. It isn't literal death, anyway (in the Malkioni calendar), just the end of the year. And, presumably, the Brithini don't really speak Earth-Latin :-)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic