Re: Digest Number 136

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:29:55 -0400

> From: "Peter Metcalfe" <metcalph_at_...>
>
> Kevin P. McDonald
>
> >The Great God of Pelanda, blessed by Idovanus,
>
> Different Pantheons. Pelandan Turos is one of the High Gods
> and would not be blessed by the Carmanian Idovanus.

Yep - that is confusing. I should be more specific (or just leave it out altogether).

> >The Artisan (Lord of Creation - painting, pottery, and sculpture, >creator
> >of plants and animals),
>
> Painter or Shaper would be better.

Yea, I originally called that aspect Turos the Shaper but decided that it sounded too similar to Turos the Shaker. Shaper is more accurate, though. I think I recall him actually being referred to that way somewhere in Entekosaid.

> >The Father (leadership, health, potency), and The Shaker (earthquakes,
> >volcanoes, and war).
>
> It might be better to have a generic Turos cult for any man with a whole lot of
> subcults

I agree. It would be less trouble to write, also. Being lazy, that appeals to me... :)

> > Leadership (Command Silence, Inspire Loyalty, Preside)
>
> KetTuros is not a leader. At best, he enforces the speaking rules of the Pelandan
> Assembly and announces its decisions.

Agreed. I intended KetTuros to be a subcult of Turos the Father. I based Turos the Father on his role as leader of the gods after rescuing them from the Darkness, or as the High God. It also included his role as the father of many children, lover of many women, and male vitality. KetTuros seems very limited in scope.

> >Worshippers: Carmanoi,
>
> The Carmanians do not worship Turos. Only their peasants do.

Ouch. I am having difficulty coming up with enough cult options for my Carmanos player(s). I seem to be restricted to Aronious Jaranthir (?), Carmanos and family Hero Cults.

One of the points that I am weak on is exactly how much influence the native pelandan mythology had on Carmanos and his people. From what I have been reading, it seemed that Carmanos applied a western perspective to pelandan mythology, reinterpreting the role (and ultimate nature) of Idovanus and subordinating the other High Gods to him.

Thus, I figured that Turos would be fair game for Carmanians to worship. Plus, the "manly" aspect of Turos (having many lovers) seemed to fit the Carmanoi. Why would the Carmanians choose to worship local gods like Bisos and not Turos?

> Veskerele's House should come _before_ Turos's residence.

Yep - I didn't realize the order was important, and put the Palace of Turos first. If you have to pass through Veskerele's House to get to the Palace of Turos, then I definitely erred.

> >From the Palace of Turos, worshipers
> >can exit into the Golden Age, Storm Age, and Darkness Age.
>
> He was also in the Green Age, I think.

I had that in my first draft, but removed it because I wanted to discourage travel to the Green Age (too dangerous). I definitely think there is a way into the Green Age from there, but I was leaving it as a secret for the players to discover.

> >Disadvantages: [...] Turos is now an old God, and sometimes has >trouble
> >raising his spear.
>
> I don't see any evidence for this.

There are several myths for Turos or his previous forms that have him as an old man that needed to be rekindled. One involved him being sung to, others involved a goddess rubbing his fire stick or some such. I think this is because the volcano that he was associated with had gone dormant.

I was thinking about tying this to the age of the Devotee, or making it a HeroQuest to connect to a younger manifestation. Either way, I would be more than happy to remove the reference because it would make him a more potent god.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it - especially since this is my first attempt at cult design...

~Kevin