Re: Re: Pegasi

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:44:24 +0300

Jonas Schi�tt wrote:
> >If you decide to do an other-side HQ, you'll be travelling into
> >the Period Before Time. In that time, your horse, being an offspring
> >of the original Hippogriff, will not have gone through the events where
> >the wings, claws and fangs were lost.
> Hummm... well, possibly, but only if your horse believes in that
> particular myth about its origin. ;-) Which is Dara Happan, I presume.

 Beats me - I no near to squat about anything that isn't 100%  heortling ;)

> A more likely solution IMG would be to give the horse a miss completely:
> wings, and bring it back with you. Of course, then there's no real reason
> to let it lose _anything_, simply end the quest before any of that nasty
> stuff happens.

 Well, were I to run a campaign with heroquests, I wouldn't let a  quester simply end a quest whenever he wants. If there's something  he wants to avoid, he should still have to face the situation,  succeding in his goals. It could mean simply beating any opposition,  distracting them, giving them a new target or something. If somehow  the quester was able to exit the godplane, and I considered it  'cheating', I might well let the skipped events follow the quester  back onto the mortal plane!

> Now that I think about it, that whole myth is suspect anyway. IIRC it
> stipulates that there are no more hippogriffs in historical times,
> something AR disproves. OTOH distribution does _not_ include Peloria,
> interestingly enough. So a case could be made for it being a very local
> myth, and perhaps an example of Solar stubborness. "Nope. No more
> hippogriffs. They don't exist." "But I saw one in Ralios last year..."
> "That Hazia habit really isn't good for you, you know."

 Argh - nothing's ever what you thought it was in Glorantha. Well,  all the above should still work for pelorian campaigns - perhaps  succeding in it isn't as hard after all, since hippogriffs  do still exist.

-B