Re: Heroquesting the First Battle of Chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:55:56 +1300

At 11:54 PM 10/27/02 -0800, you wrote:

>Random thought: I assume the First Battle of Chaos figures very
>prominently in lunar heroquesting, yes? Either because your quest
>follows the Goddess's God-quest--in which case your last step is to
>return on the Bat--or because (for followers of the Mothers) your quest
>is to find and bring back the Goddess, which, again, ends with Her on
>the Bat.

I don't think it works like that. Lunars return with many things (mostly knowledge but one heroine returned with a stick goddess) but nothing so big and dramatic as the Bat.

>...or am I on completely the wrong track here? (BTW, I assume Lunar
>heroquesting somehow enters into *historical* events, since most of its
>mythos takes place in History, not in Godtime. Am I wrong about this?)

Lunars heroquest into the age of mythology like other people as their goddess existed in the past eras (although nobody then knew that she was the Goddess).

>1. The First Battle of Chaos would be a natural quest for anyone seeking
>to learn the Secret of his (lunar) cult. The FBoC was when everyone
>(including the Goddess) found out what the Lunar Way was all about.

The Lunar Way is not about the Bat. The Bat is only the Steed of the Goddess, not the Mystery itself.

>2. Let's assume that the ideal solution, when a quester goes crazy, is
>to get him out of town.

Why? This is somebody touched by the Goddess. Getting him out of town makes it sound like something bad has happened to him.

--Peter Metcalfe