Re: Heroquesting the First Battle of Chaos

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:45:19 -0000

I don't think that is actually very practical. After all, this person is very powerful, and that power may be useful some day...in fact that power may even be important, so more likely you try and find some way to keep him/her out of trouble, but available if needed. Kind of like the small pox virus or nuclear weapons. And like them there is always the worry that the wrong person will get them ("Hakeem the heretic isn't much danger himself, but his mesmeric abilities might let him get to his great uncle you-know-who at _that_ castle on the shores of the White Sea. If he frees him the deaths are apt to run to the hundreds of thousands, and more importantly would probably include hundreds of priests. We are sending reiforcements to the garrison up there, but you are the only ones who have a chance to get close enough to him to stop him. The lives of thousands, and the fate of your families, lies in your hands. Now go make the empire proud.").

> This could be another manifestation of that old tension between
> Lunars-as-enlightened-mystics and Lunars-as-ruthless-and-cynical-
empire.

As Peter put it: "Decent people make well-intentioned decisions based on
their imperfect knowledge which backfire spectacularly, horribly and comically. "

Which is another way of saying that they think they can safely warehouse these unstable but powerful folk....after all, someone has to have the juice to eventually create the "Empire of Monsters" ;-)

--Bryan