Re: Digest Number 1062

From: yinkinuk <simonbrayuk_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 08:34:13 -0000

> But I'm not sorry for standing up for Yinkini as well rounded
> characters. I hate to see any cult reduced to characterization and
> running jokes—probably because I like playing characters who take
> themselves seriously (hence making good straight men—right Jeff?)
so
> I hate to think if I joined a group playing a worshipper of any
> particular cult that the character would be presumed to be comedic
> just for that.
>
> Apologies again for reading things into your post that weren't
> intended.
>
> --Bryan

 But surely Bryan in a Game, laughter can be just as essential to the fun of the process, and people should be allowed to see the inherant comedy in playing a character who wears a false tail, stick on whisker and leather ears. However in Borin's case the irreverance is part of his character, the overt sexuality is part of his character, his mischief is part of his character. Yet he is a hero of his clan, he is the reason that they survived the winter when the mouse god tried to steal all their grain, he fought against the treachery of Egrid the Enlightened, he aided the Greydogs' to discover the secrets of mist flower meadow. He has heroquested three times to save his people, and then to save the Dead Wood Clan as well and became part of their tribal ring.

 However sensuality and sexuality is a major part of the Yinkin character, if you play a celibate, shy and retiring Cat Worshipper, then you are NOT playing a Yinkini, or at least you better expect the Impests to come visiting until you do. If you want to play a hunter you play an Odaylan. Yinkini teach hunting and stalking skills, but they also taech the art of courting. They have their own type of marriage, which only lasts nine days. To some Orlanthi their activities are 'Anti-social and a waste of time'. You have to remember that the Yinkini are part of the 15% not the 85%.

 Now how you run with this is another matter, but if you choose to play a Yinkini, you must surely be prepared to deal with the characters sexuality. Also as Greg commented the other day, the Orlanthi and Gloranthans attitudes to sex and relationships are very different from those of 21st Century people. Without VD, with magical contraception and with magical aids to sensuality, sexuality and love, then I imagine a worshipper of a god of sexuality is likely to be highly charged.

Yinkin is the Alynx God. He is famous for his stalkig, his unending sensuality, and his loyalty to his brother Orlanth.

 Many Goddesses desired the handsome Alynx.

 Then Eurmal....steal his heat...Yinkin did not mind, because it let him get closer to more goddesses. He seduced and loved each differently...everyone still wits for him.

Simon