Invisible Orlanth

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:23:57 -0400

> From: "Peter Metcalfe" <metcalph_at_...>
>
> An idea that I had when writing the Glorantha: Intro (didn't make it coz of space) was that they were the Orlanthi Magi since Orlanth had taken over from Idovanus
> (this was a result of Saranko spending time among the Brolians) and instead of glowing wands they had swords to do their magic, and instead of looking at the Sun
> for God's Will, they looked at the weather instead.

And a cool idea it is, too. I am definitely incorporating that, but right now I am more interested in the ordinary "rank-and-file" portion of the cult. Are you saying that Invisible Orlanth is only directly worshiped/venerated/whatever by the IO Magi, and everyone else worships different cults? IIRC Satrap Destryno is encouraging this religion as a way of preparing his men for the opening of Charg. What are the cult's benefits towards that goal? How Brolian (Orlanthi) is this religion? How much of the Orlanthi pantheon should be incorporated?

I think the whole idea is pretty interesting. Consider that Idovanus was originally the Pelandan god of Order, and Orlanth is pretty close to the opposite. What does this say about man's relationship with his Creator? There is a good chance that it will have more far-reaching social and/or magical consequences than either Saranko or Destyno expect or desire. Not to mention the Padishah's Eye...

~Kevin