List Manishment

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 19:50:47 +0000

>>>... if Malia can create the
>>> Plague and TB or whatever she does, why can't che create VD?

Jeff Kyer (resident List Manisher):
>>This thread is starting to veer into a digest topic.

Graham (Digest List Manager)
> Or rather more towards the long list of tiresome topics that
> are unwelcome everywhere.

There's always the OpenHeroWars list...

> As has been obvious since at least cults of prax, disease is
> caused by evil spirits,

Only now we learn that it's spirits, daimones, essences, and possibly weird underworld stuff as well.

> dead material is recycled by gods and spirits,

By bugs, mostly. They are creatures from Hell, mind you...

> and, yes, yoghurt is created by a god(dess) or spirit of
> yoghurt making.

Nope. The deity just is the source for the magical transformation, the actual work is done via worship of something which must be in the milk, or in the leather bags where the milk is stowed...

> c.f. Previous discussion of what it means to live in a
> *magical* and *mythical* world...

Indeed. But since at least one of these magical and mythical worldviews is even worse than the "scientific" POV used by some of the Gloranthaphiles (the Mostali World Machine perception), there is no reason that there are no germs at all in Glorantha. Just in some places they are manifestations of deities or spirits.

After all, it is perfectly possible for a materialist to blame all the magic to a Law-giving Creator who set up whatever the Creator needed to set up for processing organics, be it yeast or bacteria or enzymes or acids.

For most Heortling characters, this point of view is alien. But then, most player characters tend to be not part of most people anyway.

There are rituals which keep food from spoiling. Some of these include the production of pickles, preserves, salting, drying, etc. Whether these kill or slow the germs, or whether Molda the goddess of food spoilage had been burned by Togaro god of boiling water and therefore flees is irrelevant.