Re: Ernalda feeds the tribe in the Valley of Cradles

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:03:41 -0800 (PST)

An interesting question. I thought a bit about that and maybe now I understand less than before... I think that things are confused because you (Keith) are mixing two mythologies:
the Praxian (modern/nomadic) mythology (serpents, Eiritha, herds, herdmothers etc.)
the Genert (pre Praxian/agricultural) mythology (giants, aldryami, green age).

If the heortlings want to cultivate the River of Cradles Valley, they should refer to Genert myths not to nomad ones. Genert myths are largely lost in 1600+, but I suspect they equally are lost in 800+.

So they (your heortlings) should try IMO to use their myths to impose/reconstruct a myth which is internally coherent using the local resources, avoiding those that the Praxian nomads currently use (Eiritha, Storm Bull, the Serpents) because these resources are already strongly and lively "attuned" to a nomadic culture (opposed to agriculture).

They need a Hero, someone who builds new myths using the available bricks (local spirits). If the Hero is a heortling, his quests will attract entities based on his perception of the otherworld.
So, in the end, I would use a heortling myth picking from the local spirits (the less nomadic ones) those that resemble the entities the Hero is looking for. Resistance could be much stronger than the Hero expects from an agricultural quest because Genert is a dead god and so the land actively resist and is impervious to those who want to cultivate it.

OK, enough ramblings for the moment,

ciao,
Gian