More Western Reaching

From: Paul McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:48:30 -0400

> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
>
> Kevin McDonald:
>
> >Are you saying that Invisible Orlanth is only directly
> >worshiped/venerated/whatever by the IO Magi, and everyone else worships
> >different cults?
>
> No. The "rank-and-file" are busy applying themselves to the revealed
> arts so that they will one day become IO Magi.

Are they theistic, sorcerous, or mystic? Come to think of it, I could ask the same question of the Idovanic Magi...

> They are not cooped up in Brinnus like the Idovanic Magi, but should be based around some sort of monastery.
>
> >IIRC Satrap Destryno is encouraging this religion as
> >a way of preparing his men for the opening of
> >Charg. What are the cult's benefits towards that goal?
>
> I'm not sure that I understand. They have no special affinity with
> the Ban and can do little else except make elite warriors.

Sorry, I was unclear. Making elite warriors *is* the way he is preparing - not to open Charg, but to prepare for when it happens on its own.

So... These elite warriors... what is their relationship to IO? Are they the guys trying to become IO Magi and living in monasteries? Or are they guys living in monasteries teaching feats to the soldiers?

> But Turos isn't a leader of the High Gods and almost immediately
> after receiving the staff in the Darkness, he passes it onto to
> Idojartos. So he's even less of a ruler than an Orlanthi King.

Humm... My interpretation of the myth was that they have no King, but leaders as needed. Plural - as in a different leader for each needed task. Turos and Oria were chosen as their day-to-day leader, and received the Scepter and Basket of Rule. Then they passed the staff again and chose Idojartos as the leader to save the animals, which is a different and distinct task. Thus, you are right that Turos is less of a ruler than an Orlanthi King. He is more of a President or Prime Minister. He can't make laws. He can only enforce the decrees of the Council.

I also don't think the staff and the Scepter of Rule are the same thing, although they could be. I was thinking that the scepter was a symbol of rulership, and the staff was more like a gavel. The Council of Gods (and modern Pelandan Councils) pass the staff around the table to give each speaker the floor. This fits the discription of the Scepter of Order in Rafelios (IIRC), which had the power to quiet the room and compel the holder to speak what he truely believes. This is a custom that exists in the real world (passing the gavel), and seems consistent with Pelandan culture as I see it. If they (staff and scepter) are the same, then Turos (or the current "ruler") normally holds it during meetings to keep order, and passes it for votes. When the meeting is over, he take it with him a symbol of his office to enforce the Council's decrees.

> Merchant Gods:

Possibly a subcult (or Hero cult) of Etyries for Carmanian style trade?

> Deified Satraps:

Cool idea - I hadn't thought of that one...

> Gods of Diplomacy: Vanu. The lunar equivalent would be Etyries (q.v.)

Vanu? Having a Carmanian subcult of Etyries would work here too. It could be a combined merchant/diplomacy cult.

> >Thus, I figured that Turos would be fair game for Carmanians to worship.
>
> He might have been. But however he is ultimately a god of peasants
> and farmers, placing him firmly within the Farmer Gods.

Humm... I still think that you might be seeing too much Lodril in Turos. He was the Great God of Pelanda, after all, and Great-grandfather of King Gartemirus the Wise. Still, I can see that the invading Carmanians would have wanted to undermine His power rather than co-opt as the Lunars typically do. Turos worship has probably seen a long and serious decline west of the Oronin.

> >Why would the Carmanians choose to worship local gods like Bisos and not Turos?
>
> They don't worship him also AFAIK.

Not that I want to start another Clash of the Titans, but Bisos the Hazar is on the "to be published" list at Martin's site, and his only sample Carmanian character is a devotee of Bisos. The Full Justice worshipers fall into the Bisos the Freeholder subcult, if I read Martin's description correctly. Much can change before publishing, though, and you are correct on your references.

> However most other gods that you can name have been in similar positions (Storm Bull, Yelm, Orlanth, Ernalda etc). Thus I don't think a -3 modifier is warranted.

Consider it gone...

~Kevin

PS: I am much more impressed that anything ever gets published now! I have been spending much of my free time on my Western Reaches campaign since late July, and it still very incomplete and unpolished. Everyone should take a crack at something like this at least once, just to gain a little perspective on what it takes to write. It has certainly silenced my complaints about the Issaries publishing schedule...