Re: More Western Reaching

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 14:43:35 +1300

Paul McDonald:

> > >Are you saying that Invisible Orlanth is only directly
> > >worshiped/venerated/whatever by the IO Magi, and everyone else worships
> > >different cults?

> > No. The "rank-and-file" are busy applying themselves to the revealed
> > arts so that they will one day become IO Magi.

>Are they theistic, sorcerous, or mystic?

Mystics within a theistic perspective (like the Tarumathi of Talastar). In HW terms, they would be Martial Artists but I don't think the model of the MA in the HW rules is appropriate for them (I know it doesn't apply to all types of Martial Artists).

>Come to think of it, I could ask the same question of the Idovanic
>Magi...

Mystics within a Sorcerous perspective. At the least, they would be liturgists. Their mystical practices would be akin to Perfectism (Glorantha: Intro p83 and the description of Hrestol's initiatory experience in ToTRM#13 p7).

> > [The IO cult] have no special affinity with
> > the Ban and can do little else except make elite warriors.

>Sorry, I was unclear. Making elite warriors *is* the way he is
>preparing - not to open Charg, but to prepare for when it happens
>on its own.

>So... These elite warriors... what is their relationship to IO?

>Are they the guys trying to become IO Magi and living in monasteries?
>Or are they guys living in monasteries teaching feats to the soldiers?

They are akin to Martial Artists (except they fight with swords and all that). They hang around monasteries but can be found outside it pursuing Truth, Justice and the Carmanian Way.

> > Merchant Gods:

>Possibly a subcult (or Hero cult) of Etyries for Carmanian style trade?

Etyries already is a trade deity so I don't see why the Carmanians need a specialized subcult.

> > Gods of Diplomacy: Vanu. The lunar equivalent would be Etyries (q.v.)

>Vanu?

Entekosiad p45.

> > But however [Turos] is ultimately a god of peasants
> > and farmers, placing him firmly within the Farmer Gods.

>Humm... I still think that you might be seeing too much Lodril in Turos.

That's because Lodril and Turos are the same deities at some level just like Entekos and Dendara are.

>He was the Great God of Pelanda, after all, and Great-grandfather of
>King Gartemirus the Wise.

He is not _the_ Great God of Pelanda and the fact that Gartemirus can claim him as an ancestor means little to Carmanians. Lodril is also a Great God in Dara Happa, but the Dara Happans still put his worshippers at the low end of the social spectrum.

>Still, I can see that the invading Carmanians would have wanted to
>undermine His power rather than co-opt as the Lunars typically do.

They do not want to undermine his power - they want to keep him in his appointed place.

>Turos worship has probably seen a long and serious decline west
>of the Oronin.

In terms of worshipper numbers, definitely not. In terms of power and prestige of his temples and priesthood, then yes. A good parallel would be the importance of Catholic Priests in Ireland after the Reformation.

> > [The Carmanians] don't worship [Bisos] also AFAIK.

>Not that I want to start another Clash of the Titans, but Bisos the
>Hazar is on the "to be published" list at Martin's site, and his only
>sample Carmanian character is a devotee of Bisos.

And I do think Martin is wrong in allowing the Carmanians to worship Bisos and also in his belief that Bisos is a great deity that subsumes Tavar and others. Carmanians _do_ worship Bull deities but I think that these would be Urox etc. for the Hazars and KefTavar for the Carmanoi (in the rare case of a house still following Bull-Shah days). However this really is a technicality.

>The Full Justice worshipers fall into the Bisos the Freeholder subcult,
>if I read Martin's description correctly.

And the Carmanians do have such people within their lands.

         In Carmania, the Seconds and Thirds are handpicked clans
         of collaborators and quislings.
                         Glorantha: Intro p113.

Admittedly harsh but that's written from a Pelandophile view.

--Peter Metcalfe