Re: The Greeting

From: Dick Kingman <rtkingman_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:41:56 -0400

--Peter Metcalfe
> > I don't know what your notion of greeting is but Orlanthi classify
> > strangers as potential hostiles until they have gone through the
> > greeting ritual. Thus IMO the greeting challenge in KoS is the
> > Orlanthi greeting ritual.

David Dunham:
>This is very likely true, but I've always been bothered by the
>statement in "Player's Book: Genertela" -- "When my brother was
>outlawed he travelled all the way to Pralorela, a year of walking and
>hunting, and everyone he met greeted him properly." This strongly
>suggests a non-linguistic component (how could he understand
>Ramalian?), either magical or gestural.

I guess I was just expecting something more elaborate or possibly a whole formula of responses. Like Mr. Dunham suggests, I imaged there might be some secret sign, or other non-verbal component to the greeting. Or maybe they sing it, or they "pass wind". :-)

Oh well, Umath's challenge works and is simpler. Basically, "Halt! Who goes there? Friend or Foe?". Then if friend, identify self and ask identity of stranger. If foe, attack them.

Umath's greeting works well for guardians, but what about travelers? Do they have to stand around and wait to be challenged? This is part of why I thought there might be more to it than that.

Thanks,
Dick Kingman