Re: Yet another uber thread

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:59:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jane!

mmmh

I think your reply falls in the first category, after all (for the love of discussion, of course: I do not intend to force my pattern of thinking on anybody).

> Humans are human: but in Glorantha, they *also* have
> access to facilities that let them go beyond human
> limitations and become gods. If they attain this
> state
> while still subject to human weaknesses, the results
> can be unfortunate.

So "human weakness" could be represented in herowars/quest terms as a huge flaw (let's say 10W3) which is implicit in any human hero description (much like darksense for uz)?
Superheroes get to deal with it sooner or later?

> Of course, in the RW, humans can have access to
> nasty
> technological things like nuclear warfare (and, come
> to think of it, cars: what's that but a "run fast"
> ability?) that give god-like (or at least,
> super-human) powers: and again, this is not
> necessarily a good thing.

Technology is a thing that I can have or not, sure. Anyway, it doesn't change my human nature, I think. But I don't think it's correct to compare Gloranthan magic to technology.
To use a car you have to get one and then learn how to use it.
To be a Devotee of Humakt, you have to, well, _be_ one. You can't just learn it. You are called (by Humakt) to be part of his entourage.
Does this fact make your Humakti an alien (much more than a car driver is an alien if compared to a X century peasant)?

Ciao,
Gian

Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com