Stirrups and their origins.

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:47:06 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Darran wrote:

> IMO stirrups seem like an invention to control or dominate horses so
> that sounds very western to me. Animals are created by god to be used
> by man in the Malkioni cultural view point...

Excellent Darran! It _is_ possible to see stirrups as a tool to make a horse less of a being, and more of a thing or tool. A strangely Mostali like touch infact, but then again, the western mindset is quite close to that.

The info on the use of rough blankets is quite fascinating, and believable. Afterall the plains "indians" of america fast became renouned horsemen and performed impressive equine feats... without saddles or stirrups, and with blankets over their mounts.

Okay, I'll buy that. I'll just have to think how old/new invention the stirrup is in the west. Something that has evolved with the tournaments, parhaps. Military life seems very conservative in Glorantha afterall, but sports tend to inspire...

        -Adept