Re: Stern rudder

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 14:50:39 +0100

Peter M answering my question:

> > (The big technology that doesn't exist in Glorantha is the stern
>> > rudder. No ship has anything better than a steering oar.)
>>
>>Are you sure? I have always envisioned Haragalan tallships
>>(and a few other "advanced" East Isles ships) with stern
>>rudders.
>

> Checking my archives on the topic, the issue was whether
> the Jrusteli had stern rudders and Greg felt passionately
> that they would have used magic (i.e. undine control) instead.

I was thinking about the Jrusteli too (but forgot to mention them in the message), but having them use magic for steering makes perfect sense.

> I don't think there's anything to suggest that stern rudders
> do not exist in modern glorantha but I think the best way to
> handle it would be to make them rare and/or magical.

I agree completely. I am trying to write a set of East Isles ship-building myths, including a (so far rather lame) explanation of why the Mokatan and later on Haragalan ships have stern rudders.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams.