Pavis - Troll Break

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:07:30 +0200 (EET)

I'm not in the happy position of owning all the recent Pavis related fan-works, but as it's one of the key sites of my own campaign, I've tried to keep up.

This is something that occured to me only recently, but I didn't see any mention of it in the material I have here...

The Troll Break:

When the troll hero Gerak Kag invaded Pavis, he used his magic to jump onto the walls (ol' Kag was a hero, so no doubt his followers could imitate his leaping feat so some extent). Having defeated the wall Gerak Kag took control of one of the gates and let the rest of the army invade the city.

Afterwoods the trolls fortified their position, and sealed the city from the outside world.

Now the problem. The map show's an absolutely huge gap in the colossal walls (who are reputed to be of something much like Truestone after the dwarves vere finished with them). This is the Troll Break.

When, how and why would this have happened? Personally I didn't find any way the trolls of Pavis could have destroyed the wall like that, nor do I see any reason for them to have done it.

For some reason it has been drawn into the map, but the timeline and history gives no explanation. (Many apologies if I'm just blind to some obvious passage in the relevant texts).

But, obviously the trolls need a point of entry and exit, not for the invasion, but for hunting in the Pavis region.

So... I tought what would be a proper solution with the technological level of the trolls, and it's rather simple. You don't need to crush the walls, when you can simply bypass them.

So at least in my Glorantha the trolls had their slaves (trollkin, captured humans and even some great-trolls for muscle) build an artificial hill where they wanted to get accross. The other option would of course be a tunnel or many tunnels, but when the dwarf's vere still strong they propably had all sorts of devilry down there to prevent just that, and the walls propably go down at least a good ten meters.

So. That's what the troll "break" looks like in my vision of Pavis. Keeps the majesty of the walls of Pavis a bit more believable, when every invader doesn't just kick them down...

        -Adept