Re: Ride the Chariot

From: ins_hyacinth <ins_hyacinth_at_...> <ins_hyacinth_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:26:20 -0000

I'd agree that Roman "Knights" were probably cavalry rather than mounted in chariots. The reason I suggest some may have been used is Etruscan influence. The Etruscans are neighbours of Rome, several Roman noble families have Etruscan names, and several Roman kings were actually Etruscan. Since the Etruscans definitely used chariots (it's described in histories, they've been found by archaeologists, and vase and wall paintings show some) I think it's just possible some important "Romans" with Etruscan backgrounds may have used them. My early Roman army I used in wargames never had any chariots though. More generally on chariots they were used in warfare for over 3000 years. The earliest are Sumerian battle cars from 2900 BC, with four solid disk wheels, with a driver and often a King in the back, pulled by four equids, usually onagers but sometimes mules or donkeys. The latest are probably Irish chariots with a driver and one warrior pulled by two ponies in around 400AD. I think there are really four things they're used for in that time.
First, you have the chariot as a mobile missile platform. The earliest examples probably come from the south Russian steppes, and move into the Middle East around 1500BC. These are incredibly light vehicles with spoked wheels, a two-man crew with a driver and an archer, and two horses. This sort of vehicle spreads all over the Middle East, Egypt, Persia, India and to China. They get bigger and heavier, adding more crew and more horses. The Assyrian chariots at the end of their empire have a driver, an archer, and two shieldbearers,  and are pulled by four lightly armoured horses. Tactically the early chariots skirmish with each other and try to outflank infantry to charge flanks. The big Assyrian ones aren't much use for skirmishing! They're probably used against the flanks of infantry with cavalry in support. If they can catch them they should be able to charge any contemporary cavalry and win. In Glorantha I'd think Dara Happa might use this sort of chariot. Horses, bows and spears are associated with chariots and with the sun worshippers. Secondly, the scythed chariots you mention. Historically they're used first by the Persians against Greek hoplites and against Alexander the Great. Subsequently several of Alexander's successors use them against each other and against the Romans. You're quite right that they were supposed to be charged into heavy infantry by drivers who bale out at the last moment, and that they were rarely any use. I only know of one success, but some Seleucid ones that turned away when the drivers baled out too soon smashed the Seleucid left flank at Magnesia and plenty of other people got no benefit, which makes me wonder why anyone bothered.
Third, chariots in use as battlefield "taxis" carrying around men who will fight on foot most of the time. Someone mentioned the Britons fighting Caesar, and Homer also describes this style of warfare. The Assyrians and the Elamites in the Middle East used light carts to move archers around the battlefield fast, lots of Celts used chariots to move elite warriors around, and the Greek colony of Kyrene in modern Libya moved hoplites in chariots to prevent fatigue and probably thirst. The Britons, Caledonians and Irish are still using chariots this way to fight against the Romans. It sounds like the way that Orlanthi might use chariots, with an important warrior being moved around the battlefield to bring their superior skill to bear at important points, and sometimes to be got out of trouble fast by his charioteer. I don't think that "contemporary" Heortlings would use chariots since there are perfectly good horses available to ride, but there is probably a tradition of use.
Finally, some chariots are used just for prestige and as command vehicles. A commander in a chariot is visible over the heads of infantry and can also see over them. Right to the end of the Persian Empire the king was expected to ride in a chariot, and in Han Chinese armies the generals are often the only people riding in chariots. There is also a very neat Chinese chariot that has a ten-foot high platform for the general and some signallers to sit on and control the battle.