Re: MEETING SOMEBODY FROM ANOTHER HEROQUEST

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:20:20 -0400

guy hoyle wrote:

> Suppose I (as a player) want to ambush somebody who's on another heroquest.
> How would I go about this? Would I have to enact a complementary heroquest,
> or is there some kind of Heroquest Ambush power?

You could do either. Or you could do a ritual that would cast you into the role of the eneny you wished to be _and_ put yourself in the right part of the Hero Plane. Its more a knowlege of teh proper mythology, good spies and timing.

A good phrase to remember about Glorantha is 'as it was meant to be'...

> Suppose I (as narrator) decide that a character might be pulled into an
> enemy's heroquest. Again, I'm a little fuzzy on how I'm supposed to game
> this out. What abilities might be appropriate to resist this "pull"? Hos
> powerful should the "pull" be in game terms? How does this process appear to
> the gamer?
>
> Guy

I have done this to my hapless group -- they were drawn willy-nilly into a Lunar heroquest which was designed to set up a series of seasonal challenges. Sort like somone pouring a big can of 'attract monster' on your tula (it was more complicated than that). You can resist the pull, probably by using Mythology or the like to beat it off. But the Heroes went to deal with it as they figured they might be more effective than whatever else the Imperials might encounter on their 'Rebel Scum Are Tested' heroquest.

They were right. They managed to kill the guards but not the quester -- but at least she didn't get past the boundary stones of Orlanth's Stead -- but that was all she needed. She didn't get a clod of earth or a stick of wood from the Chief's stead however. They forced her into a margial victory at best (my players don't like to think what a major victory would have been...). But they do remember what happened to the clan that Argrath was supposedly a member of... and shudder.

Hope this helps,

Jeff