Re: Digest Number 1157

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...> <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:30:12 -0000

Peter said :

> I don't know. The Amish and fellow travellers have gotten
> into trouble for refusing to perform military service, take oaths
of
> allegiance, and other civic duties. I doubt most Gloranthan
cultures
> would cotton to that sort of behavior, since refusal to participate
> in civic duties weakens the community spirits.

I'd forgotten about the pacifism. The existence of such a group would probably only be possible in some sort of situation where their lack of military might wouldn't result in their being raided out of existence or just wiped out. Sort of like the Oasis people in that way.

How would a pacifistic community survive in Glorantha without some military entity around to protect them?

The Hutterites were actively courted to settle in Manitoba since they were hard workers and fairly self-sufficient. Plus were used to a somewhat similar farming environment in Europe.

That's makes for an interesting scenario idea: the Lunar Empire encourages a group of White Moonies to settle in Dragon Pass and start farming. Makes for interesting culture clashes with the neighbours when a group of pacifists are involved. How do you deal with them? And how do the local authorities deal with people who won't protect themselves? Hmm, interesting.

Oliver