Re: Re: Of Garhounds and Punning Myths

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:22:50 +0000 (GMT)

> > is in part a water spirit: the son of the local
> river.
>
> This is getting weirder by the minute .-)

We must be in Glorantha. And somewhere near Sun County :(

> Now, you explain to me please, why a water spirit
> would appear as a dog of all things.

  1. Why not?
  2. It's a spirit with two parents: one dog, one water.

> Brother Dog and a river nymph? Hmmm.

Did I mention that the garhounds enjoy swimming?

> He has this special whistle made from reed, that
> only a member of the Garhound family can hear.

Of course!

> We're talking of different times here I think,
> you're talking the 1550s
> and I've loped ahead to the 1620s.

Ah, right.

> The little old man has never been
> seen before (in the 1620s),

If he's come all the way from Balazar, this is perhaps no surprise.

> But you are right, Declan must
> have learned about the dog and how to control it.

I still think he'd just redefined his family guardian a bit, no more. It must have had water links in the first place for this to work? Or, erm.... they had this dog guardian back in Karse that was also a sort of symbol of male potency for them (yes, weird, so?), and they did a sort of River Ritual with the dog, and they got Son of Dog back. You know, the "dies and born again" thing. Or at least, they thought they did, only Brother Dog got mixed in somehow.
I think this ends up with them ritually drowning puppies every spring.... and when the puppy can discorporate, this is *tricky*.

Jane, drink more coffee, lay off the mushrooms, and get back to doing some work.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com