Subject: Little lost Vingan

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:49:32 +0100

> From: "Chris Brown" <cjbroon_at_...>
>But knocking the priestess on the head so the 'magic-door-to-the-otherworld
>TM'
>shuts and the girl is lost does not sound right. Not for a Vingan initiation
>anyway.

I'm using Bruce Ferrie initiation myth. i think he posted it here a while back (it might also be in the files). The culmination is her facing and defeating a ritual enemy alone.

BTW I don't believe that cults _necessarily_ have standardized initiation rites (within or between temples), so I don't see contradictions here. Also i think initiation into the clan and into a cult might be distinct (in fact I think they must for certain cases such as adult adoptees).

There is no magic door, though. The shift is subtle (especially when the barriers are very weak), but once _fully_ shifted you are physically gone, IMO. The stranding comes from the extraordinary support being zapped at a critical stage (the only part of the ritual when she is alone).

Thom