Re: News from Gloranthacon

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:02:07 -0800

Toronto is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. As a
"thin blooded Californian" according to Dave Cheng, (who was all bundled up
while I strode along manfully bareheaded with jacket unzipped, I might note) snow is something you drive a few hours to visit, have your fun, then go back to the nice warm valleys.

Too much to do and too little time to do it in. I apologize to all those who were looking Turuku in the Birth of the Goddess. By the time the miniatures game I was running was done, and the seminar I was in was finished, there was only a bit less than an hour to go (I knew this going in, of course), and when I went to the room it seemed to be winding down to its conclusion, so I spent the time as the Lunar Paparazzi getting shots of the "action". If someone has a website to put them on, let me know. I got some wonderful Tabloid pictures of the Darjiin Sex party (Nick Brooke and David Cheng in particular). (Get your minds out of the gutter you perverts, they are in different pictures).

My minis game, "Lawn Dart Wars" was a good time, with five factions vying to eliminate their opponent's patrons while protecting their own. The marginal winner was the "Goddess's Benevolent Daughters Association" led by the Levitating Bald Chick, who used her "levitate" ability to retreat from the Veterans, then couldn't come down because they were waiting for her (levitation is only up and down, not sideways!), so she was unable to get the two remaining patrons (who mutually decided to flee rather than attack each other). We had two bear-skin clad fellows on the field (Herrick made an impression on the Dart Wars scene!). Both were built to be close combat monsters; one was given "Reflect Magic" and the other "Deflect Missiles". Both abilities were great surprises to the attackers - two followers of the Jakaleel witch were taken down by Reflect Harrek (the next shot took him out though. As it was a "Madness" spell, we all agreed that he was turned *sane* by the experience and decided that running around in nothing but a mangey bearskin was not a healthy occupation). The other was repeatedly attacked by missile weapons, and he performed some amazing "Wonder Women" feats in returning missiles to their owners - pointy end first!. He was finally taken down by magic. (A brain phart on my part should have taken him down earlier). I may run the scenario again, but reduce the amount of ranged abilities (magic and weapons) considerably, as we had *no* hand to hand combat - too open a field.

Greg's Housecarl game (to reward those of us that have worked hard for Issaries but never get a chance to play with him) was hilarious - what with
"Nick on a Stick" and "Ken Again" and "A Horse is a Course" (all three lines
delivered at the wierdo restaurant in Glamour), and the Day the Bat Shat (And the Day the Bat Spat), and "It's Heroes all the way down".

My "Whose Scenario is it anyway" seminar/game didn't happen due to lack of participants (one fellow showed up half an hour late), so I was able to join Nick's "Young Thrax" game as Alvar, the hillbilly town militiaman.

The Auction (what I saw of it) seemed light in the money department - did Greg's current draft of the rules really only go for Cdn$100? Jeeze, in Britain that sort of thing goes for over a hundred *pounds*. But I got my hands on one of the very rare Eurmal mugs from the Cafepress store. I *really* need it for writing those Wierd Gloranthan bits. It is there to remind me to ask "What Would Trickster Do?"

And who can forget long nights in the "other con suite" discussing everything from Global Geo-politics to Glass Rods? My thanks to Nick, Rick, Neil, and who ever else was our hosts there.

A hand to all the organizing committee.

Roderick