Re: OT: Re: Vikings!

From: NFranz197_at_...
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:01:49 EST

The other great Viking cartoon on television was "The Loggerheads", but I reckon that was taken off the air a few years ago because it had poor ratings in its late afternoon timeslot, and it contained a bit of swearing and adult humor. Anybody remember Loggerheads?

I liked the episode it had about the bard and his village: There was this sloppy bard (skald, think Drogarsi devotee in Glorantha) who was basically "threatening" to compose an epic poem about his own village and the people in it, so then everybody started giving him free benefits because they wanted to be included in the epic in a favorable way, "in order to be part of something that will live through the ages"...! That got very, very funny, since the butcher brought him free meat, the baker brought him free bread, the ladies patched up his clothes, someone repaired his fence, shod his horse, and so on, and the clan chieftain was kissing his ass in order to be made the hero of the skald's epic.
The skald, on the other hand, would postpone the composition further & further to get more free stuff, and just lie in a hammock all day, before someone eventually called his bluff. Good story, that.