Gloranthacon Memories (long)

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:40:11 -0500

Mark Galeotti writes:
> Toronto itself was cold. Bloody cold. The sort of -26 degrees
> c, highish humidity thanks to an adjacent lake kind of cold
> that made sightseeing an endurance test and leached the heat
> out of your bones and your bedroom.

Pahh! Piker!

In Mark's defense, even native Ontarians were shuddering at our recent weather, which has been setting records for cold.

Of course, the snows of my youth make modern Ontarian winters pale in comparison! hem hem hem.

> The kind of cold that begins to make you understand what the
> whole 'Orlanth is Dead' fimbulwinter was about.

Jeepers, Mark -- anyone might think you were visiting Yellowknife or Iqaluit or something! 8)

> Most Torontans seemed happy to live indoors and underground, an
> observation which got me thinking. A people seemingly happy to
> settle in an arctic waste, living a semi-troglodytic existence. A
> people of disproportionately shaggy large men,

<checks self> oh dear....

> nonetheless dominated by their fiercer womenfolk. A people who
> use some near-worthless currency derided by others (it was
> largely being called the 'Canadian rouble' or the 'zloty', as
> I recall).

The proud currency of Soviet Canuckistan! Da!

> Of course, the Canadians are an uz tribe! It all makes sense
> now...

Jest cum beck over 'ere and say dat again, ya fancy-boy Loonar... hrum hrum hrum.

> Then there was just a little time for a brief expedition into
> the arctic outdoors (the hotel was right next to a bookshop
> endearingly if not entirely credibly called 'The Biggest
> Bookshop in the World' -

Which has very sadly fallen on sad times. At one time, that shop was indeed the "World's Biggest Bookstore", but after Coles merged with WH Smith, mutated into Chapters, then got rescued by a merger with Indigo, then the demise of one of Canada's largest book distributors... Well, let's just say that the book industry in Canada has fallen on rather hard times...

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+