RE: Re: Playability of Glorantha

From: Terry Harvey-Chadwick <terry_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:26:42 -0000

The thing that got me into Runequest in the first place was the wonderful detail of the game world, and how deep you could go into your character, compared to D&D (which is what I was playing at the time). While I agree that Hero Wars may be a bit scary for someone who picks it up for the first time and has never heard of Glorantha before, I tend to think that Glorantha and Hero Wars/Quest appeals to a more discerning roleplayer with a modicum of intelligence. I'm currently co-running a campaign with another experienced Gloranthan, and our players are all completely new to Glorantha and/or roleplaying. Everyone is thoroughly enjoying themselves and loving the cultural detail we put into our games, and exploring what they can do with their characters.

Glorantha nowadays won't ever (in my opinion) be accepted by the unwashed masses, and will always be a game at the forefront of the roleplaying community because you do need more than two braincells to rub together in order to fully appreciate it. But that's the way I like it and the way most of us like it. I'm sure that Greg would like to become a multimillionaire through his loves and lifes work, but I don't think it will ever happen because most of the world will never understand Glorantha. But, for us lucky few, Glorantha is something that will never die. I'm sure we'll manage to keep Greg and his family in a reasonable lifestyle, and he'll keep bringing out the usual high quality material, hopefully with proper indexes and examples.

In the meantime, let's all keep Glorantha going, and enjoy it for many years to come.

Terry