Re: Show not Tell

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:37:16 +0100

Andrew Solovay :

> > Unfortunately, we are living in a world where evil forces
> > are conspiring to destroy our welfare and reduce our disposable
> > incomes to the minimum, whilst doing their darnedest to put us all
> > into as strong a state of personal insecurity as politically
> > feasible.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > If Glorantha is to be dumbed down at all, then it has to make
> > more easily decipherable statements about the nature of political
> > power, and provide a fantasy mythological background to help us deal
> > with the current WASP neo-imperialism.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is off-topic for the mailing list. And, you know,
> there *are* some Republicans here...

Yeah, and there are going to be a whole bunch of them killing innocent civilians in Iraq in a few days time.

When I say "evil forces" that's not just Republicans and other fine-minded US citizens, but also people like Bin Laden, Ariel Sharon, Vladimir Putin, various Chechen rebels, Saddam Hussein, Ayatollah Khameini, Yasser Arafat, etc etc.

Don't take it so personally, unless you support these people, in which case by all means, I mean you.

My actual point was that Glorantha will never be a mainstream gameworld again unless it can somehow connect with these deep issues that face all of us, and that we must each variously deal with.

I am not suggesting that Glorantha become a hive of

  1. pinko commies
  2. red-handed rednecks
  3. etc

I am suggesting that if we want more customers (and we do !!) making Glorantha relevant to the RW would be a step in the right direction.

Julian Lord

PS I was in the bus the other day, and two eighty-year old women, having lived through WWII, agreed with each other that Dubya was worse than Hitler. They probably know more about what A.H. was really like than we ever will ...

PPS I make no apologies for this : Dubya's presidency is a dictatorial regime, and I don't care who I say it to nor where

Not that I particularly want to discuss the issue on this forum