RE: Fun OR Accuracy?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:34:04 -0800

Friends,
Interesting comments. I wish to take this opportunity to comment on this discussion. There is nothing personal in this, and I've chose this email to comment only because it is long and extensive and brings up some interesting points. When I say "you" here I use it in the plural.

>>To me, and my players, Glorantha used to be a fun,
>>mythical fantasy world.
>>It's become something else. It's focused far too
>>much on cultural issues.

Interesting. When I write all that data down for the half of the Glorantha fans who like it, or are just curious, about my insights in Glorantha, I have always assumed that people would take or leave whatever they wanted. I didn't think it would destroy people's games. After all, YGWV.

>>"Apple Lane" can't exist because the society Greg
>>has changed Sartar towards
>>in interest of "accuracy" doesn't have room for
>>that sort of place.

Apple Lane, with its wierd and wonderful characters, still exists in MY Glorantha, and my players have visited it. I am not really clear on why it would have been forced out of your universe.

>>It
>>seems you need a degree in Historical and Cultural
>>studies in order to enjoy
>>Glorantha now.

I am curious about why people feel compelled to make their games conform the data available.

>>While it's possible to play in Glorantha without
>that, you might as well
>>ignore the current supplements.
>
>Good lord NO! The current stuff allows you to play
>that kind of game AND add
>cultural depth when you _need_ it AND play other
>kinds of game, politics,
>war, mythic etc whereas when I tried to play even
>the edge of that kind of
>campaign back when I was a teen using RQ, we had to
>make it all up because
>there was sod all there to use. Now you have it
>both ways.

Martin is right here. Don't you guys pick and choose? I mean, even I don't use all the gods and cults, and my players and I ignore whatever is inconvenient for the adventure.

>>I need something that is less "culturally
>accurate" (whether it's a
>fictional or real-life >culture we are talking
>about) and more "fun." I find
>the "fun" is missing from current >Hero Wars
>products.

I'd appreciate knowing what were the fun parts in the previous scenarios and supplements. I keep reading this complaint, but don't get much concrete information about it. "Fish Rain" isn't fun? "Demon of the Red Grove" isn't fun?

>>Whenever I discuss running a Gloranthan campaign,
>the players aren't
>>interested. They find Glorantha to be a place
>that's far too elitist. It
>>seems to be only concerned with hard-core fans &
>not at all interested in
>>putting out products for the casual gamer.

Please do let us know which were the supplements for the casual gamer.

>>I've even tried getting players who used to love
>Runequest in the 80s. They
>>don't recognize Glorantha. For example, the
>following is the sort of
>>converstation I've had.
>>"I want to play Yelmalio."
>>"Sorry, he doesn't exist."
>>"What happened to him? Was he killed?"
>>"No, Greg just decided that he never really
>existed. It's really quite
>>confusing exactly where he is now."

Excuse me? From whence is that piece of misinformation? Yelmalio still exists, is worshipped in several places, etc. as Martin pointed out so nicely. Yes, the limited Yelmalio that people knew of in Pavis has been expanded and changed for its different locales, but I don't think I've ever said he does not exist. Yea yea, go ahead and quote my articles on Elmal and Elmalio, etc. But if you are goign to make comments, please do try to be accurate.

>>"OK, I want to play a Humakti. I like the idea of
>an honorable warrior who
>>realizes he will die and looks forward to the
>reward he will have when he
>>does."
>>"That's fine. Just realize that all Humakti are
>now mentally disturbed.
>>Why else would they worship Death. That's what
>it's been determined that
>>Humakti are."

You guys are too literal in some of this. I know that I said that serial killers would be Humakti, but I don't think I ever said ALL Humakti are serial killers. I've got several of those good old honorable sword lords going through the games I've played. Why would you cut them out of your own game that way?

>>"Yuck. I don't want to play that. I'll just play
>an Orlanthi. Maybe I can>>meet Argrath and help him against the Lunar>Empire."
>>"Well, Argrath might not really exist. He might be
>several people. It>>might turn out to be you."

We can not please everybody, and in fact Martin replied nciely enough to this for me to let his words stand.

>have a view
>of Glorantha that is frozen in time to when you
>probably first played and
>really enjoyed it. This is not an uncommon theme.

Martin again scores with this insight. It seems that half the people wnat to know more and more, and the other half want it frozen in time. It's impossible for us to do both, or even, really, either one compeltely. That is why YGWV.
For the completists, you guys will have to make up some of your own information. For the minimalists, you will just have to ignore much of what is written to maintain that initial image of what you liked.

Isn't that the way it is with all rpg's?

The Narrator is the most important individual, for without the narrator no game will be played. Players can come and go. The narrator chooses what will be in the game.

We have tried to present the mythic and heroic world in a pick and choose manner that will give the chance to play it as you wish. Lots of stuff to choose from.

Why do the minimalists feel compelled to play it with everything?