Vinga

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:10:00 +1000

David:

>Vinga is the daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda. I'm sure this is the
>origin of her square rune. (I'm not sure about the usage of the
>"Lodril" rune, if that's a coincidence, intentional since she was a
>spark in the Darkness, or a mistake for her square rune.)

>And yes, like all but 10 things in Glorantha, Vinga may well come from
Saird.

Indeed. In that distant fabled land, the souce of all things good, where storm apple trees fruit the entire year long and fleshy deer jump willingly into your cooking pot, Vinga is known as the daughter of Vingkot and the Winter Wife. In Sartar (if worshipped as a goddess), Vinga is said to be the daughter of Orlanth Storm King and Ernalda, or Orlanth and 'another goddess' . However, in parts of Dragon Pass, Vinga is a minor and unimportant mythological figure. There is even disagreement over her status as a deity, for some tribes remember her as a cult hero from the Greater Darkness. In fact there are *two* cult sites in Sartar based around the heroine's supposed grave. Even where Vinga is acknowledged as a goddess, traditions, rituals and certain myths may vary from tribe to tribe.

And now there is Starbrow. As the first sparks of the Hero Wars consume Dragon Pass, Queen Starbrow continues her desperate experimental heroquesting along the Vinga paths, seeking to rediscover the ancient secrets of House Vinga. Though her questing emphasises the darker and more martial side of the goddess, a side-effect of the search is that she gives potency and greater form to existing paths, strengthening the rituals, making them accessible to worshippers everywhere. Vinga is returning to the women of Dragon Pass, and the Storm Daughters rise again with unique gifts to protect and avenge their families and clans. Called, she comes.

As always, there is diversity and contradiction in the myths, something short-form HW writeups can overlook in the search for accessibility and simplicity.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                          John Hughes
johnp.hughes_at_...

Up with spear and out with sword!
On we'll go for by the Storm,
The battle-thanes have given their word