Re: Suggestions for Apple Lane

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:47:38 +0000 (GMT)

> > After all, as those of us who live in civilised
> > countries know, having a couple of thousand years
> of
> > history, much of it still in use, and two or three
> > links with celebrities during that period is
> normal
> > for any small village. (Americans, please take
> note!)
>
> Well, as an American, I note that the "Human
> repopulation" of Dragon Pass is
> a mere 300 or so years along, with remenants of
> earlier civilizations left
> around to rot and ruin.

Checking dates....

1120 Dragonkill War. Dragon Pass closed to humans c. 1300 Clearwine settled by Colymar and Hendriki settlers

A 180 year gap. Don't blink, you might miss it.

But from the Dawn at least, and probably much earlier, DP was occupied by humans. Orlanthi humans of some sort, mostly. They built towns, hill-forts, villages, shrines.... They did it for a thousand or so years.

"Our" ancestors, our clans... ok, so there was a bit of a gap, and we moved away for a while, but it's still our place. We know what our ancestors did here, we even rebuilt the watchtower from which Thorvald Keen-eye saw the Waltzing and Hunting Bands coming. It only needed new floors and roof, the walls were still intact. Our clan history, all the stories, all the legends: they're all *here*. You know the story of how when Voria returned at the Dawn, she dropped one of her flowers on our land: yes, that's right, that field over there. The one that's full of snowdrops every spring. So we left it for a few years: so? The place didn't go away! The paths didn't change, the spirits didn't leave. Yeah, some of the places the EWF built were a bit... odd. Not to mention flat, and burnt. We don't go there. But our steads: we just came back! Sometimes to someone else's old place, true, but we know their stories, too.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com