Semi-continuous inhabitation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 22:27:14 +0000 (GMT)

> > But from the Dawn at least, and probably much
> earlier,
> > DP was occupied by humans. Orlanthi humans of some
> > sort, mostly. They built towns, hill-forts,
> villages,
> > shrines.... They did it for a thousand or so
> years.
> >
> > "Our" ancestors, our clans... ok, so there was a
> bit
> > of a gap, and we moved away for a while, but it's
>
> More like "our" in the form of "Uncle Oddi and his
> family - you know, the
> ones you hate to visit every year for Orlanthmas"

OK, maybe I was overstating the closeness of the relationship. But it still wasn't some weird and alien civilisation that was there before, it was "folks like us". RW example, then: where I live now wasn't where my family came from. But I know when the Romans put a road through here, I know the name of the Saxon who founded the settlement by the ford, the current bridge is in the same place as the various medieval ones, as is the mill, and I can point to the inn where the Great Fire of Biggleswade started. Some bits of the parish *were* abandoned for the odd century or so after plagues or whatever, but people just move back in. Maybe not related to the last lot, but doing the same things in the same places.

And we've been doing this kind of re-inhabitation for a long time: there's a lovely bit in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles where an ambitious priest goes out to investigate the ruins of an old church, abandoned a few centuries earlier due to warfare (Vikings, not Dragons, but same difference), and finds documents there to prove that it and a large area around it all belonged to the Church, not the Crown. He did a quick re-build job, and called the result Peterborough.... of course, things got re-allocated when the Normans arrived, but it was a smart move at the time.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com