[Fwd: Re: Caladraland]

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:59:17 -0500

I just got an unexpected message from Greg Stafford, which I enclose in full. I can't remember which HW list this was posted on, so I'm sending it to both.

Guy Hoyle

Dear Guy,

Just catching up on some way-too-old correspondence. You can post this from me if you want.

At 08:31 AM 8/11/2000 -0500, guy hoyle wrote:
>|From: "Peter Metcalfe" <metcalph_at_...>
>|Subject: Caladran Presidents
>|
>|Mikko Rintasaari
>|>(Still not going to
>|>use any sheriffs, any more than presidents of Caladraland)
>|
>|There are no presidents of Caladraland AFAIK. The notorious
>|Runequest Companion reference was contradicted by the Dragon's
>|Past #1 in Different Worlds #28, that can be seen at:
>|
>|http://www.glorantha.com/library/eurmal/campaign-gmc.html
>|
>|making it probably the first and only example of an RQ2 greg.
>
>IIRC, the RQ Companion's sections on Caladraland and God Forgot were
>switched inadvertantly. I don't recall where I read this; it's possibly
>something I learned from Sandy, but I think I actually read it somewhere. I
This is false.
The sections are not switched.
If you read it someplace, the source was dead wrong. If you mean that the term President ought to have been used for God Forgot,
well, they are ruled by a Talar-- no elections please!

>like the current description of Caladraland because we really needed a
>Mayan/Aztec analogue in Glorantha, with a little bit of Hollywoodized
>southsea-island-volcano-worshipping thrown in ;-)
This is also dead wrong.
There is no Maya/Aztec analog.
I've actually never added anything to Glorantha because anyone "really needed" it.
Oh OK, except for if I needed it.
But to be clear, Caladraland is not Mayan or Aztecish for me.

Oh finally, Caladraland's climate is actually more a result of the warm Sedlazam/Rozgali current than the interior heat of the volcanoes.

Oh, for president and pharaoh: both are rather arbitrary terms that I used
and more or less regret using now. Of course both actually have Gloranthan
words, not English translations that are inadequate and misleading. The Egyptian connotations for pharaoh have given Kethaela an Egyptian cast that
I never intended.

Sheriff, on the other hand, of course means shire reeve, not the cowboy error that someone seems to be making.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>