Re: [Fwd: Re: Caladraland]

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:15:19 +1300

At 14:59 20/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I just got an unexpected message from Greg Stafford, which I enclose in
>full. I can't remember which HW list this was posted on, so I'm sending
>it to both.

It was actually posted to the Glorantha Digest.

> >like the current description of Caladraland because we really needed a
> >Mayan/Aztec analogue in Glorantha, with a little bit of Hollywoodized
> >southsea-island-volcano-worshipping thrown in ;-)
>This is also dead wrong.
>There is no Maya/Aztec analog.

Apart from the Flowery Wars (which wasn't really Aztec practice but what they invented to hide their defeats), the main imagery I had when writing up the description was in fact "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" which is set in India. Joerg did suggest giving the Caladrans Atlatls when I handed in my final draft but Issaries went for flaming weapons instead.

>Oh finally, Caladraland's climate is actually more a result of the warm
>Sedlazam/Rozgali current than the interior heat of the volcanoes.

Bah humbug.

--Peter Metcalfe