Re: "Kerofinela" = Dragons Pass?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:13:21 -0000

Okay I was trying to avoid getting involved in your specualtion on this one, but it looks like it is time for some clarification based on the current text of the product:
  1. At its core Kerofinela: Land of Thunder is a beautiful map of Dragon Pass by Wesley Quadros, a gazetteer of the places that appear on that map. There are other maps inside and some geographical facts. To my mind it is the location supplement to the culture sourcebooks (Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe) and Sartar Rising campaign supplements (Barbarian Adventures and Orlanth is Dead). Please note that we only have so much space, so this is not a pitched as a history book about the region nor adventures and npcs - the focus of the work is a gazetteer of the area. Of course the places have their stories told and descriptions so both history and adventures arise from what is presented here.
  2. The geographical area covered is best described as Kerofinela. For reference that is pretty much the area of the Dragon Pass game board map: Prax border in the east, Dragonspine in the east, Stinking Forest in the North, Choralinthor Bay in the south. Yes this means that it only covers the edges of the Grazelands in the west and not Black Horse County, and only southern Tarsh but it extends southwards through Volsaxiland. That area was chosen because it is where the key events of the Sartar Rising campaign take place.
  3. We do discuss the meanings of the terms: Dragon Pass and Kerofinela up front in the book.
  4. While it may surprise you the name has been subject to continuing discussion among those involved in the product. The name Kerofinela was felt to more accurately reflect the area covered by the product, but there was awareness that Dragon Pass had better brand value, particularly from `King of Dragon Pass'. Doubtless we may have those discussions again, right up until it becomes too late to change it. The product has had a number of working titles during its lifetime. Be aware nearly all of the names you have suggested have been working titles at one point or another. Your feedback on the name is duly noted. Thank you for offering your suggestions.
  5. Both Greg and I have repeatedly said to each other what a joy it has been to work with a host of talented people on this book and see the area emerge before our eyes. I know the visualization of the Pass I gained from Wesley's map really brought some elements of the pass to life for me. People who have seen the product, such as my group, can probably comment.