Re: Re: new character creation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:42:03 +0000 (GMT)

> With all of that said, I DO agree with Jeff and the
> others that 100
> word narrative character creation is not for
> everyone. To be blunt,
> some simply lack the imagination and others are too
> dependent on
> rules and structures for tthem to be comfortable
> with it. To each his/her own.

And some of us find even HW and 100 words and/or lists too structured....

No doubt others have been here before me. But I hate finding situations like these:

"I've only written 98 words: let me think about it for a bit and see if I can't squash two more adjectives in there."

"I've got 101 words! Argh! Should I drop 'sure-footed' or 'clever'?"

"I'd like to describe the tragic deaths of his family, but if I do, I won't have room for any skills"

Or in List mode:
"I'm not allowed this many skills, am I? Should I drop Falernian Wine Connoisseur, or Hates Red Trousers, or maybe Sings in the Rain....?"

Relax! So a new character has a few too many skills at 12. Do we care? If it gives them more colour and makes them more fun to be around, why not? And if it becomes clear during play that they *should* have had Hates Tall People as well, just add it! But only at 12: no extra W-level ones.

(Yes, I am aware that adding a new skill at 12 should cost an HP. And if it's *new*, I'd still charge the HP. If it's just down to incomplete initial description, I wouldn't.)

Possibly this should be over on the Rules list? But it's more anti-rules....

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com