Re: Mythago Wood etc.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:54:44 +0000 (GMT)

> Jane & Pradal:
>
> >> Robert Holdstock 'Mythago' et 'Merlin Codex' book
> sequels.
>
> > Totally agreed. If you ever doubted that the Other
> > Side is unpredictable, complicated, messy, and
> very,
> > very dangerous, read some of the Mythago books.
>
> Newcomers should read "Mythago Wood" first, then
> "Lavondyss".

Agreed. Lavondyss is better, but you do have to read Mythago Wood first. (And I think Lavondyss makes it clear *why* children aren't allowed to do magic: it isn't that they can't, it's the mess they make when they try.)

> The rest aren't as good, although
> "The Bone Forest" had its moments.

"The Hollowing" could be subtitled "Return to Mythago Wood". As could "Gate of Ivory". Good stories, but you won't pick up any new ideas on How the Heroplane Works from them.

"Ancient Echoes" is seriously scary. We all know being ambushed on the HeroPlane is bad, but being chased by an undead city is very bad news indeed....

"The Fetch": same setting, but examines a much simpler aspect of it. One kid has one "talent", and things as usual go horribly wrong. Good book, but not up to "Mythago" standards.

> Jane -- if the "Merlin" stuff is Mythago-like, I'm
> buying. Is it?

Same universe. More excellent ideas added on to it. Some nice ideas that could be borrowed: magic ships, talents for finding ways on the Other Side, lakes and why they Scream. Lots of depth. Sadly,
characterisation is poor: I've stopped reading part-way through book 2 (got them for Xmas) because I just don't care what happens to these people. Reading "Merlin's Wood" first might be good, not because it's a particularly good Holdstock, but because it introduces Merlin as seen by ordinary humans before you get to meet him as the protagonist (a few thousand years earlier).

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com